Saturday, February 16, 2008

horsey ride and THE PIG

The weather has been warm and wonderful. We often get a few spring like weeks in February, before March roars in, so Mark and I decided we should enjoy the day and go for a horse ride. The whole gang came: the horses that are free ranging for the winter, the new little mule, the dog, the pig, Mark and I. I have wonderful pictures. I really do. I wish you could see the green, green grass, the fields of english daisies smiling at the blue sky, the sorrel horses frolicking on the hills and the placid cattle chewing their cud. It really was a beautiful day, but you can't see it because we are on probation... bandwidth probation. How I envy those of you who have broadband and can surf to your heart's content. You see, we live completely cut off from the grid- no phone lines, no cable, no electric meter- no hard lines that connect to the rest of the world. So for our internet server we have satellite. And it's good, but it does come with limitations on our use, and we have maxed it out. Totally. So the pictures will have to wait. Maybe I can load one. Just one wee photo. The one you have to see because it expresses all of our sentiments at the moment.

Hard sentiments towards my pet pig Pink. She has been naughty, very naughty. So bad, that even I realize she has to go. Last week she knocked down and bit the nicest boy. Just the nicest boy. This is the boy that a pastor brought before the whole church and then quoted Jesus in Matthew 18: 3,4: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child (here the preacher placed his hand on this wonderful boy that my pig tried to eat) is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." All of our eyes filled up and we knew just what Jesus was talking about, because of the boy. The boy that my pig tried to eat. And then yesterday she tried to eat me. Well, not eat me, but she rammed me into the side of the barn because she had gotten into the feed room and a friend and I were trying to shoo her out. Yes, she is a very bad pig and I am thinking that Easter dinner is coming, or perhaps a luau. What do you think?

Anyway, hopefully I can load my favorite picture from yesterday. Because Shy-Anne expresses all of our feelings about THE PIG the best.

12 comments:

  1. My, my she is a naughty pig...and that poor,poor boy! The child must have been half frightened out of his mind at such a horrible creature. ...tsk, tsk. I think I feel the same way about the pig that the horse in that photo does! Run her right on outta' here! Seriously, Seth said it was no big deal, really...he wasn't scared at all, he says. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. tsk, tsk, indeed. Honestly though, I joke about eating the pig, but it is difficult for me. I was cleaning yesterday and I even had difficulty killing the spiders for goodness sake! My practical side, my ranch lady side, realizes that if I am going to be a meat eater then it is only right to be involved in the whole process and not just go to the corner store and pick up a nice anonymous package of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh it was okay when she tried to eat me, everyone had a nice little laugh.. and then tried to eat brandon, mikey and emma. i told you she was a evil little pig.. and that she would look really nice with a nice little apple.( just kidding or am i)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your not kiddin! She didn't really try to eat you, she only tasted and then she spit you back out! Ha! ha! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had some naughty little pigs on our ranch is well. I'll have to send you the picture I took of one such pig "eating" several 12 packs of soda.

    In NM we have matanzas. They sure can taste yummy if cooked right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, what a bummer about the limitations to uploading more pictures. I didn't know that problem existed. Thank you for making realize I should appreciate my unlimited access. Can you pay more to have more use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we could pay more and get more. We recently did upgrade and have double what we did have, but apparently it is still not enough! This is kind of like our salary, whatever we decide to give ourselves we always seem to spend. Must be a lesson there somewhere. Hey, send me a recipe for pig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think she would taste very good.

    Just my humble opinion.

    But did she try to eat Seth? What a naughty, naughty pig.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and on the bandwidth- we have a brief respite now, that we really are stoked on, before moving to India, slowest internet EVER. And power outs. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Luau you say? Kalua Pork certainly is yummy. You can do it in an oven:

    Ingredients:
    1 medium large pork butt (around 8 lbs.)
    ¼ Cup Hawaii salt or Kosher Salt
    2 Cups water
    1-Tablespoon Liquid Smoke

    Directions:
    Cut a few half-inch incisions into the pork. Place pork butt in large roasting pan. Rub in salt and liquid smoke. Pour water into pan. Roast in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for over 8 hours.

    Or if you want to do it the traditional way: http://www.recipecottage.com/hawaiian/whole-roast-pig01.html

    Or you can continue to love on your little piggy and come visit us in Hawaii to actually eat some Kalua Pork. *wink*

    PS> Kalua Pork seriously is the BEST way to eat pork. Even better than bacon! Now excuse me while I go get a mop to clean up my drool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Momma Em, I had to go check out your blog 'cause you are officially the first person who has commented that I didn't know. Cool. Of course, I might really know you, but you could just be incognito, double cool. Anyway thanks so much for the recipe. This very day I cut up my sweet little pig, but she did have the last word because I have bandages all over my fingers! Never give a clutzy and distracted lady a knife! I will definately try the oven version, although my husband says he is holding out for Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with your husband on this one. Then I could claim the "double cool" instead of just the "cool".

    Let me know how you like the Kalua Pork recipe.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.