Friday, June 27, 2008

Garberville Farmers Market

"I know this is a controversial point, but in our family we'd decided if we meant to eat anything, meat included, we'd be more responsible tenants of our food chain if we could participate in the steps that bring it to the table. We already knew a lot of dying went into our living: the animals, the plants in our garden, the beetles we pull off our bean vines and crunch underfoot, the weeds we rip from the potato hills. Plants have the karmic advantage of creating their own food out of pure air and sunlight, whereas we animals, lacking green chlorophyll in our skin, must eat some formerly living things every single day. You can leave the killing to others and pretend it never happened, or you can look it in the eye and know it. I would never presume to make that call for anyone else, but for ourselves we'd settled on a strategy of giving our food a good life until it was good on the table."
-Barbara Kingsolver in , 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"


Today was our first day selling our beef at the local farmer's market. It was fun! The people were nice and they were patient with me. It has been a long time since I have used a calculator and made change! Plus, I was nervous. Silly me!

I plan on going every Friday for at least a month. If you are local and interested in some yummy, all natural, no hormones or antibiotics free range beef then come on by and look me up on Fridays between 11:00 and 2:00 at the Garberville Square.

All of the meat was harvested off of our ranch, hauled to the USDA processing facility in Eureka and packaged with the certified weight on the label. All the meat is frozen.

The following is a sampling of the cuts and their price.

Short Ribs: $3.50 per pound
Ground Beef: $4.00 per pound
Stew Meat: 4:50 per pound
Cubed Steak: $5.00 per pound
Chuck Roasts: $5.00 per pound
Sirloin Roasts: $5.50 per pound
Chuck Steaks: 5.50 per pound
London Broil: $6.00 per pound
Top Sirloin Steak: $ 7.00 per pound
Bone in Rib Steak: $9.00 per pound
T-Bone Steak: $9.50 per pound
Filet Steak: 12.50 per pound

Buy 50 pounds (approx. 1/3 ground beef, 1/3 various steaks
and 1/3 other)then the cost is
$250.00
Buy 100 pounds (again 1/3 of each) and the price is
$400.00

You can always give us a call at 707-599-0518,
if you have any questions.

We are sold out of the beef for the farmer's market!
Thanks for all of the business. See you next year.

8 comments:

  1. Oh that market looks like a lot of fun!!! I wish we had somthing like that down here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me drool all ove rmy keyboard here, just thinking about that beef... *sigh*

    Good thing my husband is a meat cutter ;) He makes sure we get darn good beef here..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our Corrales Growers Market. It's a highlight every weekend here.

    If I were closer I'd definitely try out some of your beef.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, in the past we have always preferred corn finished cattle. It was just what we were used to. But, we discovered that if we butcher our steers as the clover starts to dry up and have it dry aged for 14 to 21 days the beef is really tasty. YUMMY actually, so I feel really good about sitting in the farmer's market 'hawking' our product. I wish we could share it with our bloggie friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so great. I wish I was closer and could come by. I love farmer's markets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want sell beef at farmers market with you guys and help you use that new fangeled calculator!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can speak to the tastiness of their beef. My freezer is full right now but I'll be getting more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would order a half a beef today if you'd deliver. How bout Eric brings some when he comes back for branding. ;) Max said his dad and another guy we're hoping he was coming back out this year. Just let him know he's always welcome. July 26 is the date. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.