Thursday, June 26, 2008

How to Cook Mountain Oysters

Today we gave our neighbor a hand in vaccinating, branding and castrating his cattle. I would show you photos of our day, but my hubby (who is sound asleep right now) promises he will post that blog. Soooo, I decided I would share a sort of yummy byproduct of the castration. Yep, testicles, but euphemistically called 'mountain oysters'. Here they are fresh off the bulls (who can no longer lay that claim to fame).I took these home and washed them all up. And then placed them in a bowl of salty warm water to help draw the blood out. Soak them for one hour and then wash and drain some more.
Then, remove the skin. This is the hardest part. The skin is very tough. I made a slit on one side and then kind of peeled the skin off. These 'oysters' were a little on the small side, so I think bigger would definitely be better.

Next rinse them off again and put in a bowl with milk for another hour. I think the milk perhaps tenderizes them and helps remove some of the saltiness.

After the hour is up, rinse again. Place them in a pot and cover with water. Add one tableson of vinegar. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 or 6 minutes.

Remove from pot and plunge into ice water. Chill completely. I removed mine and put in the refrigerator until my guests arrived. Here they are ready to go in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to cook them up to eat you first need to cut them into 1/3 inch slices. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Dredge in milk, then an equal mixture of flour and cornmeal, back in milk, back in flour cornmeal, then place in a bowl with 1 cup dry red wine and about 1/4 cup of Cajun sauce. You want them gooey. Believe me, this is all about the breading.Remove and fry up in hot oil until golden brown. Serve immediately. Then eat. Yummy! Sort of. Maybe edible. A novelty really. Best washed down with something cold.
Tell me, since my regular editor is asleep, did I go too far with this post? Was the gross factor too high? Euwww.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for those images which will probably linger in my mind for days, if not weeks and months.

    Actually, it's pretty cool in a funny way and I've eaten worse.

    You guys are great.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick, TJ! Absolutely, sick. Just gross. Grosser than gross. Great pix of your victims, though! And why is it that only the guys are trying them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind trying them but, I'm not going out of my way either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was great! Loved the pictures and I would certainly try them. I have been accused of being a little too bold on occasion, but I just ignored it ;)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very "tastefully" done! I cannot wait to link to this delightfully informative post. And to think we band ours and let them fall off! We're missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodnees!! I loved it!! I don't think I would have tasted it, but it looks like fun!!! You had some good taste testers!! And I think everything tastes better fried!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL TJ.... I have never had calf fries. We banded ours too... lol...

    'Fraid you wont get me eating them either...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annette, females taste tested as well, at least they told me they did. I tried them and the breading was yummy, the uh, um well testicle was a little bland,with a goey, slimey kind of texture. But ok. Texture weird, taste ok. Like Andrea said, everything tastes better fried!

    FYI: We band our boy calves as well, which was why I had to just jump in and try frying up some after helping the neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think i just threw up in my mouth
    r

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regina, maybe that's why I didn't post any photos of the females eating them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gross factor was very very high! But how high is too high? Only you can say.

    But man, tj. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. frank seems to be enjoying it!!haha
    yummy!!!

    love, the turtzs

    ReplyDelete
  13. In our country, bull testicles are cooked as a soup dish. We call it Soup No. 5 and many lovers of this dish believe it's an aphrodisiac. It allegedly increases sexual stamina and promotes fertility.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have photos of castration, too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was tricked into tasting them, though they were mountain goat testicles at a friend's hunting cabin. I thought they were out of this world...but they weren't fried. Possibly boiled and/or steamed. Very tender... and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.