Tuesday, June 10, 2008

On the Road Again

Our twin nephews are wonderful, upright young men full of strong character and conviction and they were graduating from high school and we wanted to be there to celebrate their accomplishments. So, my hubby used the crazy fuel prices as a reason to take his road bike on the journey. Really, he just wanted to ride, so he knew to appeal to my "savings" nature. Here we are just before we left. We didn't bring a camera because I wanted to enjoy the ride, without looking with an eye for the best shot. Besides, I have to use both hands to hold on! In the past, I have only taken short jaunts and I had some trepidation as we prepared for this 900 mile trip. But overall, I found it extremely enjoyable, except when images of my body sliding across the road flashed through my mind. In those instances I reverted to prayer and meditation. Needless to say, much time was spent this way!

What was nice was the full sensory experience. The sights, scents and feel of the air engulf you. Conversation is impossible so you notice minute details and time almost stops. I found myself truly in the moment. We also stopped along the way and hung out in town plazas and parks and even took a swim in an inviting river. I'll do it again and it didn't hurt that we got close to 50 miles per gallon!


For those of you who might be wondering how Sweet William is doing. As you can see he is doing great. He has found a friend. Check out Willie's hairdo. Eric the Bold says it is samurai, to protect the mane from the sword. Hmmm. Seems like someone has a lot of time on his hands.


A big thank you to Kris who took care of all the animals while we were away. Which also included a new batch of baby chicks. The first batch is doing well, so I decided to try raising meat birds. Not a single bird died on her watch. You're great Kris!

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I have to admit I was getting a little worried that something had happened. I guess it did, but it was a good thing.

    Cute chicks!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Dan. Don't worry us like that. I think we should be privy to your vacation plans.

    You wanted to be in the moment???!! Inconceivable! I think you should consider your readers next time and stop being so selfish! I would have loved the view from a long bike ride. Not even a picture of the cute nephews?

    I'm hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We realized our mistake about the camera at the graduation. OOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would be praying... alot! Motorcycles scare me too! I think the EXACT same thing! It is such an unstable feeling to me!! I want something around me!
    My little video clip? If you check out "Chronicles of a Country Girl" (Her photos are awesome!)http://www.chroniclesofacountrygirl.blogspot.com/
    I got the idea from her. Also if you click on the "make your own" below the video, it will take you to the page. I will check back to see your mini movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great trip!! I think I would love to do something similar with my husband some day when our kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, we are on about the same schedule. We left on Wednesday to head for the valley, (drove the big truck though). Did the motorcycle thing when we were twenty and didn't know any better! Glad you had a safe trip, and the fluff balls look like they are ready to explode out of their box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soo, I'll guess I'll be seeing you two at the Harley Run this weekend. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you from a few other blogs I read. Glad I stopped in!
    Golly, looks like a ton of fun out on that ride. Fuel prices the way they are makes for less trips unless you can go on a bike. Makes me wish that hubby still had one (sometimes). Sounds like it was a peaceful ride, Glad you had a good time.
    Thanks for sharing, I will have to spend a day and go back and read more here.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 900 miles, that is quite a trip! I am a bit terrified of riding on a motorcycle, I will admit. My dad had one when I was a kid. I feel much safer on a horse, lol! ;)
    Glad you enjoyed the ride, and happy to see William has a good friend!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.