Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Today


“Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world around me;
And with tomorrow begins another.

Why am I allowed two?”
~G.K. Chesterton


We have been a little under the weather here at the ranch. Rain, fog, and mists swirl around these hills and our hearts as my body has been physically fighting off an illness. It has been good that the body has followed the emotional into a time of rest because it has been difficult processing the recent deaths of two young men from families that we are close to. Brent in August and now Josh. And then to really think about all the loss that happens day to day in the world. Many different worldviews try to explain suffering and death and, of course, as Christians we have our view as well; death comes from the Fall/eternal hope comes from Christ. And this is good, and this is enough, but it is still hard.

For those of you who were a little freaked out by the thought that a sinus infection could become meningitis, I would like to reassure you, but I can't really, for while it is uncommon, it is not unheard of. To get more information on meningitis you can go this site. It is good to be informed, but what I take from this experience is a fuller understanding of the fine line between life and death that we all balance precariously on. Eric The Bold has been fond of saying recently, "well, you do know, don't you, that 10 out of 10 of us will die?" At first I thought, 'how unthoughtful to say such at this time', and yet... and yet, he is right. We all die. Most of us hope for more tomorrows, but ultimately all we have is today. So may I encourage you to live your today in such a way as to have no regrets. God bless.



"I have always, essentially, been waiting. Waiting to become something else, waiting to be that person I always thought I was on the verge of becoming, waiting for that life I thought I would have. In my head, I was always one step away. ...[But] life's made up of more than that one moment. Life is a collection of a million, billion moments, tiny little moments and choices, like a handful of luminous, glowing pearls. And strung together, built upon one another, lined up through the days and the years, they make a life, a person. It takes so much time, and so much work, and those beads and moments are so small...This pedestrian life is the most precious thing any of us will ever experience...You have stories worth telling, memories worth remembering, dreams worth working toward, a body worth feeding, a soul worth tending, and beyond that, the God of the universe dwells within you, the true culmination of super and natural.You are more than dust and bones.You are spirit and power and image of God. And you have been given Today."~Shauna Niequist (edited by Ann at Holy Experience)

8 comments:

  1. wow - that was great thanks
    Love Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to practical Eric. (If someone leaves you stranded at an airport, walk to a concert in the rain.)He really is right. Hmmm. I think I'll have to ponder his comment. Maybe it can help get me through any hypocondriac moments I find myself in.

    I hope you're all feeling better soon. Tell Eric hello for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, so true. How often we take our day to day adventures for granted. We should be more thoughtful, more thankful, and more happy.

    And Eric is so ture. Some journeys are just a lot shorter than others. God has plans for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a beautiful post. The quote at the end brought a lump into my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true.
    Meningitis is nothing to fool with. I got it at age 19 and nearly died from it. No clue what it was at first, until my brain swelled and I lost consciousness. Woke up 4 days later in an ICU. Took me a week to walk again. It really is life threatening.
    I'm very sorry for Josh and Brent both. Terrible tragedies, so young...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta tell a funny story on myself in regards to Eric's comment (which I now also remember hearing in a wonderful movie called Bella). While I was at Josh's funeral I was seating between Mark and this other older friend who recently learned he had a terminal disease with no hope of treatment. Along comes another elderly couple to sit down beside Mark. They greet us. This gentleman bends forward and begins talking about how so many people he knows are gone, etc. etc. Then he says to our friend, "Hey, You look good, I heard that you weren't so well". A moment of silence and then our friend says, "Well, I am still walking." A rush of awkwardness fills the air as he thinks about what to say next, so I lean forward and blurt out loudly, really loudly,(why so loudly I have no idea) while about 400 people listen, "You do know, don't ya, that 10 out of 10 of us will die". My friend with the terminal disease quietly busts up, his eyes crinkle and twinkle and his shoulders bob up and down. Then he whispers to me, as I sit about 5 inches into lower in the pew, "Mark can't take you anywhere".

    I still cannot really believe I said that in that place in that moment and yet that was also when I realized the statement's worth and stopped being mad at Eric for saying it. Humor does have its place. Especially humor that puts us all in our place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quotes. GKC is one of my favorite authors. I don't know the other, but the thought is wonderful.

    Rest.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a beautiful and important reminder from Shauna Niequist.

    Thanks for sharing that as well as the link to sinus infections leading to meningitis, too.

    I hope you are living life to it's fullest each and every day.

    ~Lisa
    New Mexico

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.