This following recipe was from Mark's grandma. It is easy and tasty and perfect to make with children.
1. Gather ingredients: large bowl, wooden spoon, 1 package dry yeast, 1.5 cups of hot tap water, 1.5 tsp. salt, 1 Tlbs. sugar, 1Tlbs. oil, 4 cups of flour, and a young friend!
2. Put hot water in a bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Watch it dissolve.
3. Add salt, sugar and oil and stir.
4. Add one cup of flour at a time, stirring with spoon or your hands to mix. It will get fairly stiff and dry.
5. Dough should look like this when ready. Cover bowl with towel and place in warm place to rise. Set timer for 10 minutes.
6. Every 10 minutes for one hour, stir or punch dough down, getting rid of air bubbles.
7. Let rest 10 minutes then shape. What do you think this shape is? A peace sign perhaps?
8. Let rise 30 minutes in a warm place. Then bake in oven at 375 degrees until golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes depending on your shape!
Enjoy with butter on top! It's an elephant of course.