Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First Bloom

Can someone tell me what this shrub is. I have been seeing them in the burned over area of the ranch. The first time I spotted one, I thought the sun must have been reflecting just right off of shiny leaves. But, on closer inspection I discovered the first bloom of spring. Early spring. This is probably some horrible, pervasive species that will take over the ranch. But if you know what it is, please let me know. Its little blooms look like downy feathers. Quite pretty really.
Life has been sunny. YIpee. Warm, beautiful, sunny days strung end to end like pearls on a necklace. I am loving it.

Mark headed south last weekend and helped his cousin sail from Long Beach, Ca to Ventura, Ca, under sunny skies and temps in the upper 70's. At one point they had a pod of about 100 dolphins with them for 45 minutes. Pretty spectacular I am told. Soon he will head down again and go from Ventura to the Pismo area. This leg will go around the dreaded Point Conception. I worry a bit about this part of the journey. It is really the only rough sea area along the California coastline. Eventually the 35 foot sailboat will be docked in the Bay area. I look forward to going for a sail then.

I have been doing spring cleaning and relaxing. Sounds incongruous, but its not. Trust me. I feel really great when I get things cleaned and organized and we were so busy all summer that this place really needs cleaning and airing out. I really need a cleaning and airing out after the heavy gray skies of November and December.

Enjoy your day.

6 comments:

  1. They're Coyote brush. Here is more about them.
    http://kymkemp.com/2007/12/04/in-darkest-winter/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone knew. I did a little checking around the Internet but I couldn't find anything.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean that better weather is headed to the midwest? It is 0 here. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say it looked like a type of willow, if it's by a creek.
    Coyote brush sound good to me.
    Let us know when you find out...OK

    ReplyDelete
  5. McKinleyville KrisJanuary 25, 2011 at 6:39 AM

    That is, indeed, Coyote bush and it is generally blooming at Christmas time here where you can see it all along 101.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know what it was, but it's pretty. and it sure is early. Spring in January??
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.