Monday, August 8, 2011

Ducks are Dead....or missing

I have had "butcher ducks" on my white board to do list for about 3 weeks, but just couldn't do it. Chickens yes, my sweet, funny ducks. Um, maybe not. Decided that I really needed to at least take them to one of the ponds and let them have a real swim before they enter a frozen rest. Hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. Last night they didn't come into the hen house to go to sleep. Looked around the yard and vicinity and couldn't find them. Weird. It was already getting dark, so I thought they had perhaps bedded down somewhere I didn't look and thought they might show up this morning. Alas, they didn't and I found one outside the yard crammed into some bushes with a broken neck. Hardly a feather ruffled. I don't know where the other 2 are. In some animal's belly I suppose. It is strange though that one was left behind. Perhaps it ran away and inadvertantly broke its neck in the brush. I will never know. I wish now I had taken them swimming at the pond. Poor duckies.


Live life, don't wait for tomorrow. It may not come.



The only swimming our ducks ever did:


4 comments:

  1. Such is life in the country. Still a shame.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. *suggested alternate ending* The Three Amigos learned to fly yesterday while we were away. The poor chap stuck in the tree was performing unauthorized aerobatics, with disastrous result. Two remaining amigos did a missing man formation on their way to the lake district. Bon Voyage. mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay-

    I read your post this morning, and didn't respond because I felt so sad.

    Moments ago Juanita was reading your blog and started laughing hysterically. "You unfeeling monster" I thought. Then I read your comment and can barely type my response. That is what happened. I'm sure of it.

    Bon Voyage indeed.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, poor babies! But your suggested alternate ending did make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.