Thursday, July 26, 2012

And We're OFF

 Last October, when I began taking care of my dad and mom, I earnestly began walking.  Later Mark joined in and we got to talking about hiking the John Muir Trail in the coming summer.  We've wanted to do it for years, but never could bring ourselves to take that much time away. 

But seeing my dad, on what was supposed to be his death bed, really got us thinking about living and enjoying what we have now.  So often as I've aged, I looked back and saw the youth I had lost, in regards to health and vigor and yes, of course, looks.  But I began looking ahead at what old age looks like and I realized how young I am now and how I should appreciate the NOW.  So, Mark and I have been living just a little bit differently.    

The time has now come to attempt that hike we discussed. Eric and Jo take good care of the ranch.  We've been conditioning for months.  Our gear has all been weighed and sorted and reweighed and made lighter.  The food resupplies have been mailed off.  It is time to head for the high country of the Sierra and hit the trail.

I worry a bit about my ability to handle the altitude with my lungs, but right now my lungs are  good.  If needed there are plenty of trails to lower elevations. I am happy to report though that during all of the huffing and puffing on these hills, with a twenty pound pack, I might add,  I have had absolutely no problems. The new medications are working fantastically.    Wish us luck and happy trails.

Some photos I snapped on the ranch during our morning or evening hikes:

Visiting  Will in the morning fog

The early light casting long shadows through shaded forest.


Loving on Molly in the afternoon



Hiking the burned out areas in the evening light



"Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, inciting at once to work and rest!  Days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand windows to show us God.  Nevermore, however weary, should one faint by the way who gains the blessings of one mountain day; whatever his fate, long life, short life, stormy or calm, he is rich forever."

-John Muir
My First Summer in the Sierra

5 comments:

  1. I am jealous. VERY jealous.

    (My word verification is "20 heckova". I think it means it would be a heck of a trip for a 20 year old)

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW prayers for a safe journey and I can't wait to hear all about it when you return:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great and safe time you two......

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun and exciting!
    Take lots of pics and be safe. Enjoy yourself!
    Xo
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.