Sunday, April 13, 2014

Week 15

Wow.  15th week of the year. Already!

Mark got some fishing in at Shelter Cove this week. 

The boat Eric got with his inheritance from my parents is a real gem.  Mark really enjoyed going out with them, even if he did get seasick.   I stayed home.

Captain Johanna

3 foot Salmon


Eric filleting the fish



I  got to enjoy a bit of my inheritance this week too as they began putting in the new windows for our home.  Our view, it's back.
No more water condensation between the window panes.  We also purchased more of the picture windows with sliders, so in the summer evenings we can get a good breeze.  I am overjoyed.  The windows are beautiful and it is kind of nice hiring to get them installed too.  Made life a lot easier for Mark  as the whole south side of our house is high off the ground.  We usually do repairs ourselves, but this time we splurged.

We are now down to 3 pigs.  The big one went to the meat processing facility on Friday.  Being as this was our first time finishing a hog and that it had been a long time ago when Mark was involved in swine, we were having a hard time guessing his weight.  This particular pig did not gentle, so we couldn't take the appropriate girth and length measurements to calculate weight.  Ideally we wanted him between 220 and 250 pounds.  Mark guessed he was 235, I guessed 205.  Mark guessed the exact weight!  I guess he still has a good eye, or he just got lucky, but either way it turned out just right.  We are excited to get some meat back, so we can see if there is really a significant difference in taste with heritage hogs.  We will keep you posted.

Lots of wild flowers blooming now and these are just ones at or house's elevation or higher.  I didn't make it down the hill this week.  I bet I would find a lot more down slope. 


lupine

California Poppy

Blue Eyed Grass

Huckleberry blooms

English Daisies

Buttercup
Shooting Star





Filaree and Wild Iris

Blooming horses too!







1 comment:

  1. That salmon looks delicious -- my favorite fish -- worth a little upchuck. We're getting new windows too so I know what you mean. The flowers look great. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say. Keep your comments coming! Thanks.